Sunday, February 6, 2011

Transform Versus Conform

In order to fully have an 'others' focus, players need to differentiate between TRANSform and CONform. I will explain. So that they can grow and develop, people need to realize that they will need the help of others to help get them to where they want to go. I have reinforced this concept with recent tweets at twitter.com/Chris__Oliver (or @Chris__Oliver).

If players (and coaches) recognize that help from others is needed, then they also need to have an 'others' focus so that they develop the proper unselfish mindset themselves - another example of balance. In order for that to happen, those same players need to change their thinking away from "my teammates and coaches need to CONform to my style of play." If teams are going to succeed, the unselfish mindset of "I need to use my skills and adjust my attitude to TRANSform to my team's goals and style of play" needs to prevail.

On paper, this is all wonderful and good. In reality, this is only accomplished through personal maturity, a true unselfish approach, and a genuine desire to make others around us better. Individuals on successful teams transform - they do not expect team members to conform. The difference is enormous, the results are obvious.

No comments: