Monday, May 17, 2010

Alvin Gentry Article

Good article on Phoenix Suns Head Coach Alvin Gentry on the coaching journey and what it takes to be successful (Courtesy BA Turner/LA Times)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-suns-alvin-gentry-20100515,0,6766355.story

Here are some key ideas from the article:
- "Coaching is all about human relations." How do you manage players? How do you relate to them?
- Gentry's father taught him a way of life he still follows today - "Treat others with respect, son. Work hard, son. Have character, son. Be accountable, son."
- Message to his team 'Do you want to be coached and do you want to be held accountable? If you do, then I'll do that. That's what my job is. But then don't get upset at me if you're not doing what you're supposed to do and I jump you, because I am going to jump you.

No comments: